Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A year in Review

Well, I have been in Kenya an entire year now.

Here is a summary of what I have learned:
  • Invest in the lives of those around you, but be careful about creating dependence.
  • Don't trust anyone unless they've earned it.
  • Stick to the rules you've made for yourself and others, bending them can lead to trouble.
  • Don't be afraid to make tough decisions, even when it hurts.
  • Guard you heart, your husband can have it on your wedding day but not until.
  • God works all things together for good, even when I can't see the good yet. 
  • The darker the situation, the more you can feel God's support.
  • Spiders in the house is not the end of the world. In fact, they can be an advantage by keeping away ants.
  • Water is something you should never take for granted.
  • Get to know your neighbors.
  • Sometimes God works in the most unexpected ways.
  • KENYAN TIME moves SLOWER than AMERICAN TIME. Relationships control outcome, not TIME (ie. the clock)
  • Cats are a multipurpose household occupant. They keep rodents away, eat moths/big bugs, serve as a bed warmer on cold nights, companion when you are lonely, and alarm clock to tell you to go to bed! Plus, if they are trained to relieve themselves outside, they bury their poop so you aren't walking through it. 
  • God PROVIDES!
  • I have incredible parents.
  • Christmas can be celebrated in June!
  • Organization only works if there is commitment. (I was gone 3 weeks and when I returned, everything was the way it was when I arrived in Sept. 2011)
 I will update my prayer requests soon!

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to let you know how much I enjoy your journal entries. Your mom keeps me abreast of what's happening, and I'm praying for you.

    Blessings,
    Carrie Gwaltney

    ReplyDelete