Monday, June 17, 2013

Two day Vacation

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been doing a lot of business travel recently with mostly disappointing results. Therefore, I decided I needed to get away for a couple of days to relax before I head to western Kenya on the 18th. It just so happens that a friend of mine is in Mombasa right now, so, on Thursday, I took a bus to visit her. In addition to the comfort of relaxing with a friend, the 80 something degree weather made a nice change to the "high of 60" weather here in Kijabe.

Mombasa is on the coast of Kenya along the Indian ocean. Although the city itself is built on an island, most of the surrounding coastal region is referred to as Mombasa. You may have heard in the news about turmoil in Mombasa. This unrest is not targeted at foreigners specifically, but at the Kenyan Government.

Have you ever heard of Texas pride? Well, that is the closest description I know to the attitudes of Mombasa natives. Like Texas, Mombasa has threatened on multiple occasions to separate from the rest of Kenya and the Mombasa culture is entirely different than everywhere else in Kenya. The people move slower, talk slower, socialize more, and in general take friendliness to a whole new level.

Yes, Mombasa has its problems like any other major city in the world. Almost all, if not all, major cities have areas to avoid at certain times, situations and things to watch out for, and safe & unsafe methods of transport.travel. As long as you know what to look out for and what to avoid, you are fine. My friend grew up in Mombasa and knows all about the city and surrounding area.

I was so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent the first day of my vacation relaxing within earshot of the palm trees and the ocean and just reading. It was great to do nothing!! I cooked dinner that night and got lots of compliments from my friend and her friends. What an esteem builder!
Sukuma Wiki, a common Kenyan Dish made
with Kale/Spinach, tomatoes,  and garlic or onions.
Usually served over a starch or as a side dish.

Saturday, we moved to Mombasa itself and I went to a bakery, helped my hosts' son build a "tent" (made of towels, chairs, and a broom), and WENT SWIMMING!! I loved being in the water and working out in it, but I also realized just how out of shape I am. One lap and I was winded! Eventually, I built my endurance up a bit and got a great workout! By the end my legs were jelly, but I truly enjoyed my time in the water. One of the things I miss most about North Carolina is swimming. Growing up, I got to swim every summer as well as visit the ocean. In Texas, I got to play a bit in a pool once, but that was all. Kijabe is TOO cold to swim. I don't think the temperature ever rises much above 75 Fahrenheit here. Therefore, this trip to Mombasa was almost like paradise! The ocean, the heat, the pool, the company, etc.

I got back to CURE this morning and am leaving tomorrow for western Kenya until late Thursday night, but last week seems like months ago. I am emotionally, mentally, and physically refreshed. (Ok, so right now I am a little sleep deprived and ate something my body didn't like yesterday, but these are minor things compared to how I felt before.)

Me and the Mombasa Sunset

Prayer Items:
  • I am headed to Kitale and Eldorat for a mobile clinic tomorrow. Please pray for travel mercies and for those we will minister to both physically and spiritually.
  • My Alien Registration card is not ready yet. It is supposed to take 5 weeks to process, but it has already taken taken that long. This card serves as my legal ID in Kenya and until I get it, I have to carry my passport with me everywhere I go.
  • I am discouraged about the LIMBS progress here in Kenya. Other than project sponsored patients, there have been no new patients fit with the LIMBS Knee this year. Pray for guidance!
  • I am getting over a cold! Pray for healing!

PRAISE THE LORD!
  • First, God allowed me to get involved with several missionaries (both long and short term) in Kijabe.
  • MY COMPUTER IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!! Now I just need to find safe transport for it from the USA to Kenya!
  • God provided the opportunity for me to travel to Mombasa to relax with a friend. AND, and added bonus, I had the best seat in the bus on the way there!
My view (in Nairobi) headed to Mombasa.
  • I got to the bus station an hour and a half early and therefore, was able to enjoy a cup of tea and read my Bible for AN ENTIRE HOUR before the 8.5 hour bus ride! =) 
  • God brought me safely from Mombasa back to Kijabe!


1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you. What a wonderful God we have!:)

    ReplyDelete