Friday, September 30, 2011

A week and a Day

A wk has passed and I've written little. Each week seems to go faster than the one before it. I am settling in and so are the bugs! Yuck! I usually find at least during every one of my showers.

My biggest struggle this week was the Kenyans concern that  I am eating too little. It got to the point that one of the kitchen ladies made me a plate of food trying to get me to eat more. I promise I AM eating enough.

In the last seven days, I have been to Nairobi twice, last Saturday and this Friday. The first was to search for some work supplies in the industrial district. I found half the items I was looking for. Did you know that Kenya does not have sticky back velcro? Or that isopropyl alcohol is nearly impossible to find (I haven't found it yet)? I was also looking for drill bits in 0.1mm increments, but I did not find those either. I spent all of Friday in Nairobi trying to meet the different key people from the organizations I will be working with on the  knee assessment. LONG DAY!


Anyway, I have gotten over my cold and my body is adjusting to the food and climate. My bed has 2 heavy wool blankets that keep me warm and comfortable at night. Sometimes too comfortable. There are mornings that I don't want to get out of my warm bed and into the cold air. You also have to realize that I went from living in the middle of summer in Texas to the middle of winter in Kijabe. The last several days have been quite windy and it seems to pick up in the afternoon and at night. Also, without fail, it is always very windy at 4pm on Wednesdays and it may die down at around 5:30pm. This time corresponds with my weekly Skype call with the home office. This makes a difference because I have to sit outside to get internet reception.

I'm getting connected with other wazungu (white people) in Kijabe. I have gotten into a Monday night Bible study with a group from RVA up the hill from where I live. Also, I met 2 fellow missionary men working at RVA and have connections with lower station (where I am). They are Steve Cochran and Steve McMilian.

The last 2 weeks have been less stressful than the first week and a half, although I still sometimes leave the department building after dark. The busiest times of the day for me are the morning and evening. Morning because I'm catching up on anything that was sent to me during the "US workday"  the day before. The evenings are busy because I am making sure I have done and sent everything I need to in preparation for the "US workday". The US workday begins at about the same time that the Kenyan workday ends. (8-9 hours difference)

Anyway, I'm getting use to riding public transportation. However, I still need to travel with someone because I don't know how to navigate Nairobi.

I hope all of you are well! Let me know if I can be praying for you about anything!

God Bless,
Elizabeth

ps. Its late here. Prayer requests and praises to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment